Notice: Clinic News & Events
Chiropractic is a healthcare profession devoted to the nonsurgical treatment of ailments of the nervous system and/or musculoskeletal system. Chiropractors keep a focus on therapy and manipulation of surrounding structures.
What can chiropractic care treat?
Many studies have concluded that massage therapies widely used by chiropractors are effective for treating lower back pain, in addition to for therapy of lumbar herniated disk for radiculopathy and neck pain, among other ailments.
In fact, when patients using non-specific chronic low back pain have been treated by physicians, the long-term result is enhanced by obtaining maintenance spinal manipulation following the initial intensive manipulative treatment.
Core Chiropractic Treatment Plan
The center of chiropractic usually involves treatment of common lower back pain conditions through manual therapy:
- Spinal manipulation and manual manipulation. This type of manual manipulation identifies a short lever arm push that is applied to vertebra. It is also commonly called “chiropractic adjustment”.
There is firm literature support for chiropractic treatment of lower back pain. Many of the guidelines that are published urge manipulation to be contained in the therapy strategy in the maintenance of back pain.
- Mobilization. Mobilization describes velocity manipulation, motion and stretching of the muscles and joints, with the goal of increasing the assortment of movement.
What Does a Chiropractic Treatment Plan Consist Of?
Most chiropractors start treatment throughout the patient’s first visit, although some might wait until the next appointment of the practice. Chiropractic therapy goals and recommendations can include some or all of the following:
- Adjustments to key joint dysfunctions
- Modalities to enhance soft tissue healing and pain management, such as ultrasound, electric stimulation, and grip
- Strengthening and/or stretching exercises to improve muscle balance, strength, and coordination
- Patient instruction to improve posture and motor controller, as well as potentially reduce anxiety
- Other treatments like massage, heat/cold application, and education on ergonomics and nourishment.
Goals of Chiropractic Care
The chiropractor will establish Certain goals for a patient’s individual plan for therapy:
- Short-term goals typically include reducing pain and restoring normal joint function and muscle balance
- Long-term targets include assigning functional independence and tolerance to normal activities of daily living.
To accomplish these goals, a particular number of chiropractic visits will be recommended.
For most kinds of lower back pain, a treatment recommendation of 1 to 3 chiropractic visits per week for 2 to 4 weeks will be prescribed, followed closely by a re-examination from the chiropractor.
Chiropractic Evaluation of the Treatment
In the re-evaluation, the chiropractic physician will Assess the response to treatment and decide whether to:
- Continue chiropractic treatment, if appropriate
- Release the Individual from chiropractic care, if treatment goals have been met
- Refer the patient to another health care specialist if treatment goals have not been fulfilled.
- Chiropractic adjustment (also referred to as spinal manipulation) is a popular and recognized pain relief therapy for many types of lower back pain, sciatica, and neck pain. Knowing what to anticipate from the first visit might help an individual get the maximal benefit from treatment.
Since this profession has an unusually large selection of practice philosophies and chiropractic methods, people should feel comfortable asking all of the questions necessary to comprehend the chiropractic examination, diagnosis, and therapy plan.
The scope of our information is limited to chiropractic and spinal injuries and conditions. To discuss options on the subject matter, please feel free to ask Dr. Jimenez or contact us at 915-850-0900 .
By Dr. Alex Jimenez
Additional Topics: Wellness
Overall health and wellness are essential towards maintaining the proper mental and physical balance in the body. From eating a balanced nutrition as well as exercising and participating in physical activities, to sleeping a healthy amount of time on a regular basis, following the best health and wellness tips can ultimately help maintain overall well-being. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables can go a long way towards helping people become healthy.
Special Events and Announcements