The thyroid gland produces hormones which influence distinct processes in the body. Nearly every cell type is affected by these hormones. Maintaining appropriate levels of the hormones is important to your overall health and functioning. They help the body create and use energy, and if your body isn’t producing the amount that is correct, it can lead to thyroid problems, such as hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism, which can have many effects on your well-being.
What Is Hypothyroidism?
Hypothyroidism is your thyroid problem connected with an underproduction of thyroid hormones. Generally, this will result in lowered energy levels, but hypothyroidism has lots of symptoms.
Symptoms of Hypothyroidism
- Hair reduction
- Trouble with brain function, such as memory loss or difficulty concentrating
- Weight profit
- Poor flow
- Cold intolerance
- Puffy face and swollen eyelids, particularly bags under the eyes despite getting enough sleep
- Swelling of the feet, hands and legs
- Muscle and joint pain
- Muscle fatigue
- Low body temperature
- Low blood pressure
Kinds of Thyroid Hormones
- T3. T3 is the active thyroid hormone. It impacts each one of the aforementioned symptoms and the functions.
- T4. The T4 hormone is your inactive thyroid gland. It doesn’t do anything on its own; it waits to be become a T3 hormone.
- Reverse T3. Instead of being converted to T3, at times the hormone will be converted by the body into a reverse T3 hormone. This hormone won’t do any of what the T3 hormone does, and in fact, it could restrict the conversion of T4 into T3.
- Free and bound. When T3 or T4 hormones have been circulated, they are sometimes considered either bound or free. A hormone usually means that it is active and ready to do whatever it needs to do–like deliver energy and oxygen and convert itself in the event of T4 into T3. It’s unable to perform those functions when a hormone is bound.
Possible Causes of Hypothyroidism
Inadequate Free T4
An inadequate Number of free T4 can be due to deficiencies of zinc, copper, Vitamin A, Vitamin B2, Vitamin B3, Vitamin B6 and Vitamin C.
Inadequate Free T3 or Too Much Reverse T3
This could be caused by increased adrenaline, aging, very low calorie consumption, diabetes, toxic metal exposure, prolonged illness and stress. Much Reverse T3 occurs as a consequence of fibromyalgia or yo-yo dieting.
Insufficient T4 to T3 Conversion
Many drugs can affect this, such as beta blockers, birth control and oral estrogen. Well, it may be impacted by nutrient deficiencies, such as deficiencies in iron, iodine, zinc, selenium and Vitamins A, B2, B6 and B12. T4 to T3 conversion may be affected fluoride, diabetes, by obesity, obesity, aging, radiation and anxiety.
Treating Hypothyroidism with Functional Medicine
To start treating sleeplessness, Dr. Waller will first want to eliminate whatever is causing the issue before heading on to replacing and restoring balance to your thyroid levels.
- Eliminating the Causes
- Detecting and correcting nutrient deficiencies.
- Decreasing anxiety through meditative techniques, support teams or psychotherapy.
- Improving your diet. This diet should be low and anti-inflammatory in carbohydrates.
- Starting an exercise regimen.
- Chelation treatment to get rid of heavy metals.
- Eliminate offending drugs.
- Detoxification. In other words, getting rid of any and all offending toxins.
Once those steps are accepted, a healthcare professional can start hormone replacement treatment to restore your thyroid levels into their optimal level.
The scope of our information is limited to chiropractic and spinal injuries and conditions. To discuss options on the subject matter, please feel free to ask Dr. Jimenez or contact us at 915-850-0900 .
By Dr. Alex Jimenez
Additional Topics: Wellness
Overall health and wellness are essential towards maintaining the proper mental and physical balance in the body. From eating a balanced nutrition as well as exercising and participating in physical activities, to sleeping a healthy amount of time on a regular basis, following the best health and wellness tips can ultimately help maintain overall well-being. Eating plenty of fruits and vegetables can go a long way towards helping people become healthy.