- Injury – Even after the injury has healed, the nerves keep sending pain signals to and from the brain. Doctors are still not sure why this occurs.
- Disease – Conditions can cause chronic pain like fibromyalgia and osteoarthritis.
- Nerve problems – Part of the nervous system can be injured, the nerves themselves. This is called neuropathic pain.
- Unknown Cause/s – Pain that presents with no obvious injury, disease, or nerve problem.
Military VeteransChronic pain is quite common in veterans according to a National Veterans Affairs Study. Around one in five veterans receiving primary care have chronic pain. While one in ten has chronic pain syndrome. Veterans recently served in a war, tend to report a variety of causes for their pain. This includes:
- Multiple injuries
- Brain trauma
- Muscle injuries
- Bone/s injuries
AthletesMost sports require a certain level of fitness. Athletes train with all types of activities to help maintain their body’s. Unfortunately, they are still not immune to chronic pain. Chronic pain is common with:
- Football players
- Soccer players
- Basketball players
- Ballet dancers
Common chronic conditions for athletes:
- Low back pain
- Leg pain
- Stress fractures or cracks inside a bone
- Recurrent fractures
- Spinal stenosis is a narrowed spinal canal, which creates added pressure on the nerves that travel through the low spine into the legs
SeniorsAge is a high-risk factor for chronic pain. Around 30-40% of individuals older than sixty-five have or are beginning to deal with chronic pain. The severity in anybody forty-five to sixty-five is the greatest. Common conditions that cause chronic pain in older adults are:
- Arthritis and gout
- Heart disease
- Kidney disease
- Damaged nerves
WomenMen and women experience pain differently. Several factors contribute to this. These include:
- Reproductive health
- Brittle bones
- Irritable bowel syndrome
Improved Nervous SystemWhen there is a communication breakdown between the brain and the body’s tissues, organs, and cells it can lead to a variety of health problems. There are many chronic and even degenerative health conditions that are impacted by the nervous system. Studies have shown that chiropractic is a highly effective treatment for numerous neurological conditions which include:
- Cerebral palsy
- Multiple sclerosis
- Tourette’s Syndrome